- This event has passed.
Mexico: Education Reform, State Repression, and the Roots of Migration
June 18, 2017 - June 27, 2017
Mexico/Minnesota Solidarity Delegation
On this delegation U.S. educators will meet with Oaxacan teachers who are protesting education reforms in Mexico, examine common attacks on public education and analyze the connections to U.S. policies. Participants will stay in a community with high rates of out-migration and witness the effects of state repression on family, community life, and farming. We will learn from Oaxaca’s indigenous communities and teachers, who have a strong tradition of resistance against injustice and state violence.
What to expect:
- Learn firsthand the real reasons for migration to the U.S.
- Talk with teachers about issues affecting education in Mexico and the U.S.
- Gain knowledge of ways U.S. policy affects migration patterns
- Meet people resisting NAFTA and other “free” trade agreements
- Meet with returned migrants who have experienced life in the U.S. justice system